Has anybody seen 2015? I can’t seem to find much of it anywhere. If you do happen to spot it, let me know. Tell it I’m looking for it…
Here’s some of my top books, jamz, places, movies, etc. from this year:
5 Artists That Got Me Like Whoa:
- My girl did it again! A fun, light album in comparison to Halcyon. She’s my fav and actually cares about her health and world issues – Ellie Goulding
- You’ll feel your heart beating through your chest, at least I did. I mean she’s all the feels all the time – Adele 25
- K, so, they are vibin’ (can I say that and still be taken seriously?) – Years & Years
- You can’t listen and not want to dance your socks right off (try it)- Kygo
- It’s pretty and girly and has a little irelandish feel (gaelic? maybe?) – AURORA
(there are so many more that I could say. These are honestly some current favs. I could talk music for literal hours)
5 Books That Left Me In Shambles (the Best Way Possible):
- A Thousand Splendid Suns – just, read. You just have to read.
- If You Find This Letter – I’ve never felt like I’ve known a person so much before in my life. It’ll make you ache for New York City, too. Which, always a perk. Amirite?
- The Sacred Year – Wow, this book. Top 3 for sure. It brought a whole new weight and meaning to what my faith really means. So honest, so freeing. Challenges you to incorporate tangible ways to experience, love, and understand God.
- Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? – I’m newly obsessed with Mindy Kaling, and basically thought she was the bees knees in this one. Laughed out loud in airports, coffee shops, and libraries 17 times too many. F’real.
- Brain on Fire – Holy crap. Fascinating. Super quick read, but you’ll be drawn in right away. It’s alluring and daunting and at times creepy, but satisfying and insightful. Honest. Mind blowing.
5 Movies That I’m Still Talking About:
- The Intern – K, yeah, definitely every girl’s dream job at one point or another, probably.
- Inside Out – OMG I LOVE DISGUST/MINDY KALING. This movie is the best. No other words needed.
(…trying to remember if I even went to 5 movies this year…)
- Everest (IMAX)(because obvi) – I don’t think I breathed for 2 hours. It was a miracle I was still alive. SO good. Can I buy every over-priced Patagonia merch now?
- Room – Holy jamalama. This is also fascinating. I’ve heard the book is phenom and the movie definitely was too. Srsly, check. It. Out.
TBH… There are quite a few movies I didn’t get to see this year that I wanted to. So, basically that’s all I got. SRY.
5 Places My Heart Is Still In:
- Ilsa Vista, CA
- Nashville, TN
- Charlotte, NC
- New York City, NY
5 Organizations That Get Snaps In My Book:
- Sseko Shoes – Help Ugandan women get an education by purchasing a pair of shoes you’d probably replicate at Target anyway.
- Not For Sale – They have a book on human trafficking that’ll break your heart, stir a righteous anger in you, and open your eyes. This book is a major reason why I’m getting further education. We can do something.
- The Giving Keys – I love what they stand for and the excellence of their work. It was an honor to partner with them this summer. See how you can help fight homelessness.
- Two Cents Project – I can’t say enough. Humbled to work with them. Check out some of the stories or ask one of us who went. Some of the most impactful, simple work I’ve ever been apart of.
- Go International – I’m a sucker for missions and I’m also a sucker for media dome excellent. Their campaigns cause me to think creatively. It’s inspiring. If you’re looking for a way to do missions, check it out.
5 Lessons I Learned (Without Getting Too Deep bc Not The Post For That):
- You’re never exempt from learning something one more time.
- If you can find even the smallest thing to be grateful for, your entire perspective can shift.
- Sometimes, you just gotta find something to make you laugh. It’s amazing what it can do for your mood.
- You don’t have to be in ministry to “change your world” & you also don’t have to have your “dream job,” either. Starbs employees have made my day just as people in the church have.
- Life gets a lot more enjoyable when you’re comfortable with who you are. It’s okay to get alone and breakaway for a bit to figure that out.
2015, you have been an insanely wild journey. Filled with so many memories of spontaneity, joy, travels, at times tragedy, and most of all, a rediscovering of what it truly means to be alive, and how satisfying it is to live a life with the simple purpose to love and be loved.
2016, I’m comin’ for ya.